Note: Existing users should use our update instructions below to preserve existing sites.
A new version of DesktopServer (version 3.3.1) is now available in our downloads section. This version includes critical and important updates to both our free DesktopServer Limited and DesktopServer Premium version.
- First, you must stop web and database services using DesktopServer’s first option “Stop or restart the web and database services”, followed by “Stop the web and database services”. Once database and web services have stopped, be sure to close the DesktopServer application.
- Download the ZIP archive for your specific platform (Windows or Macintosh) with the ‘Update Only’ option from your account.
- Replace the main application program inside your current server folder by first deleting the existing DesktopServer application file (drag only this single file to the trash):
- For Mac, first drag only the existing “DesktopServer.app” to the trashcan, you maybe prompted for your password.
- For Windows computers, first delete only the existing “DesktopServer.exe”.
- Next, move the new DesktopServer and Update folder to your
c:xampplite(Windows) or XAMPP (Macintosh) folder.
- Start the new DesktopServer application. The contents of the Update folder will automatically be merged with your current installation and may take a several minutes to complete. Once complete, DesktopServer will restart.
This version (3.3.1) includes the following updates:
- New Blueprints option for non-WordPress sites (the ‘Version’ label has been replaced with ‘Blueprint’).
- New support for native language WordPress in the blueprints folder. Tested with French, German, Spanish, Latvian.
- Now includes WordPress 3.3.1 core files in the blueprints folder.
- Additional fixes for Dreamweaver Live View modes to support child themes.
- Additional fixes for import on Windows based system (better memory management).
- Fixes for MySQL on Macintosh to clear tmp folder when selecting ‘Stop the web & database services’.
- Fixes for PHP on Windows to clean up sessions when selecting ‘Stop the web & database services’.
- Fixes importing or creating a website on partitions other then C: drive on Windows based systems.
- Fixes attempts to create a site name beginning with a period or dash.
As the Founder of ServerPress, LLC and the Coding Genius behind DesktopServer, Stephen J. Carnam continues to invent new ways to improve developer Workflow through technology. As a huge Advocate of Open Source Software, he promotes Creativity, Community and Collaboration.