Note: Existing users should use our update instructions below to preserve existing sites.
A new version of DesktopServer (version 3.2.2) is now available in our downloads section. This version includes important updates to both our free DesktopServer Limited and premium member access DesktopServer version. New features are included in the premium access version to support WordPress Multisite.
- First, be sure to stop web and database services using DesktopServer’s first option “Stop or restart the web and database services”, followed by “Stop the web and database services”. Once database and web services have stopped, be sure to close the DesktopServer application.
- Download the ZIP archive for your specific platform (Windows or Macintosh) with the ‘update only’ option from your account.
- Replace the main application program inside your current server folder:
- For Macintosh computers, replace the “DesktopServer.app” file inside your Applications ? XAMPP folder.
- For Windows computers, replace the “DesktopServer.exe” file inside your
This version (3.2.2) includes the following updates:
- Premium member version features ‘Allow Multisite’ flag to enable Network Settings menu.
- Premium member version features ‘Create or edit multisite aliases’ to support WordPress Multisite domain development and testing.
- Default browser fix for OS X. The user’s preferred default browser now launches.
- Support for OS X (Lion) home directory re-assignment. DesktopServer now writes global preferences to Application Support folder to comply with Apple’s sandbox guidelines.
- Fixes redundant Windows Vista/7 restart services request even when services are already running.
- Mirrored hosts file is written to ‘other’ folder on Windows to aid in debugging third party anti-virus and anti-malware troubleshooting.
As the Founder of ServerPress, LLC and creator of DesktopServer, Stephen J. Carnam continues to invent new ways to improve developer Workflow through technology. As a huge Advocate of Open Source Software, he promotes Creativity, Community and Collaboration.