You may have heard about Gutenberg for WordPress and how it is going to change the user experience. You also may have heard that there are some concerns about how it will work with Themes and Plugins. Will it break your site? There is only one way to find out …TEST!
Gutenberg was so important that WordCamp San Diego had an entire track devoted to it. Many of the speakers said the same thing: “test.” There are some amazing things in Gutenberg, but there are also some things that are not working yet.
To help with testing, DesktopServer has an exclusive feature called Dynamic Blueprints. These Blueprints can save you time and make it easy to create sites. We have created a Blueprint that you can add to your DesktopServer that will do the following and give you an easy way to try out Gutenberg:
- Download the latest version of WordPress and install
- Download the latest Gutenberg Plugin, install and activate
- Download the Gutenberg Theme, install and activate
- Fetch the example Testimonial block plugin, install and activate*
- Save the permalinks as %postname%
- Check the “discourage search engines from indexing” box
*The DS-CLI Developer Plugin must be enabled to use Dynamic Blueprints (Premium Only Plugin). Here is how to activate it:
- Open DesktopServer
- Select the first option “Stop or restart the web and database services.” [ Next > ]
- You will see a list of Developer Plugins with checkboxes. Scroll down the list until you see DS-CLI and then check the box
- Click the [ Next > ] button
To download the free Gutenberg Blueprint, please click the following link: https://github.com/ServerPress/gutenberg-blueprint/releases/latest
Download it and move the .zip file into the appropriate directory for your platform:
Macintosh: Applications > XAMPP > blueprints
- Open DesktopServer
- Select the third option “Create a new development website.” Click [ Next > ]
- Enter a Site Name like: www.gutenberg.dev.cc
- Use the Gutenberg Blueprint
- Use the default Site Root
- Click the [ Create > ] button
- Click the link which will open your browser to the new Gutenberg test site
We have also included the “Nelio Testimonial Block Plugin” and its tutorial on “How to Create Your First Block For Gutenberg”, if you are interested in learning how to create your own blocks.
With its release, Gutenberg will be a major step in the WordPress evolutionary process. We hope that you’ve found this article useful and that it helps you familiarize yourself with its features and capabilities. By testing with DesktopServer, you can rest assured knowing how your sites will be affected by Gutenberg.
*IMPORTANT: The Gutenberg Blueprint will only work with the DS-CLI plugin enabled. DS-CLI is a DesktopServer Premium only plugin built to expand the power of your local development environment. Learn more about how DesktopServer Premium can enhance your workflow efficiency and give you peace of mind by creating a safe environment for you to learn, test and use WordPress.
As a Managing Partner looking to maximize Workflow, Gregg made the game changing decision to adopt product Support under the Marketing division. At ServerPress, LLC, he’s proven to be an invaluable asset, as he keeps the Team focused on superior Customer Service as the #1 priority. You will often find him at WordCamps nationwide.