DesktopServer – Create locally installed WordPress Websites Forums Public Discussions Create Dev Copy of Multisite Live install with SSL

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Stephen J. Carnam 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author

Jeff C

I’ve tried a couple of times to create a local “dev” version of a live multisite install that runs with SSL.

Are there any special instructions I need to follow to do this? The attempts I have made thus far have failed.

If there are special instructions for this type of import – let me know and I will follow.

Hi Jeff C,
    Thank you for writing us. I might be able to point you in the right direction. Please take a moment to answer the following:

Is this subdomain or subfolder mode? If subdomain did you create your aliases?
    Did you rebuild your .htaccess and associated wp-config settings? These settings might have platform specific paths and differ from system to system (hosting providers seldom run Mac or Windows). Check WordPress’ suggested settings for Network Setup (see attachment).

If under the subdomain option, you may need to follow the section “Create Subdomains” at

Jeff C

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the response. The multisite is based on “subfolders”. Are there step by step directions for creating a dev version? I’ve searched but can’t seem to locate anything.

In subfolder mode, there shouldn’t be anything to change (that we’re aware of). We’d be happy to review it for you via Supplemental Support:

You have no obligation to use our Supplemental Support Request option. To protect your privacy, your submission will be deleted from our system after analysis completes (usually within 24 to 48 hours). You can upload the created zip file via our website at:

Please note that there is a 300MB limit on the upload page. If your .zip archive is larger than 300MB, you may wish to use a third-party service, such as to send us the file. Dropbox requests can be sent to our email ( In lieu of or our upload page, you may send us a URL to obtain the file.

Lastly, if you opt for this level of support, you’ll just want to reference this thread #42244 with your submission.

The forum ‘Public Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.