Marc Benzakein
Keymaster

Hi Stefano,

Thank you for the post. I am sorry you’re having this issue and that your experience with the forums has been less than desirable. Please note, though, that as stated a the top of the forums page, these are Community driven and are not monitored as closely by ServerPress, LLC staff. The main reason for this is due to the fact that forum posts are not trackable, whereas our internal support system is.

You might not have been aware that even with the Limited Version of DesktopServer, we do still offer personalized support. The main advantage of the Premium support is that we support all of the functionality of DesktopServer and Premium members will always be handled at the top of the queue (usually getting them responses very quickly, sometimes even within minutes). However, because we do use a tracking/case number with each ticket, we can stay on top of the Basic Support requests as well.

With that said, you pose an interesting issue. Google recently became owners of the .dev TLD and as such, it seems that perhaps their Chrome product is checking externally. However, in theory, this should not happen because the Windows Operating System is designed to check the hosts file before it checks DNS. Can you verify that DesktopServer is writing properly to your hosts file? It is located at c:\windows\system32\drivers\hosts.

I found a thread which may or may help, but addresses the issue you’re receiving: http://superuser.com/questions/919278/err-icann-name-collision-when-trying-to-use-localhost-dev-in-chrome

Lastly, if your hosts file looks good, I would encourage you to contact us and submit a formal ticket so we can track it and avoid letting your issue fall through the cracks.

I hope that helps a bit and look forward to hearing from you.