DesktopServer Premium edition version 3.3 now includes extended support for Adobe Dreamweaver’s Live View. No other web server provides extended Live View support directly for WordPress template files in Dreamweaver. At best, you can only use WordPress with Dreamweaver’s Live View on just the index.php file in your WordPress’ site root folder. But DesktopServer takes Live View further by sensing Dreamweaver’s built in browser. DesktopServer directly renders WordPress template files (and their include file fragments) for more visual feedback and to assist in faster theme design & development. Originally introduced in Dreamweaver CS4, Live View (formerly Live Data in CS3) provides a more modern embedded web browser. Dreamweaver optimizes web development by allowing designers to work on their website files in Code View while seeing a real Live View of their site in Dreamweaver’s Design View window. For an abridged overview, check out the video below.

The Live View feature is a much-needed update to Dreamweaver’s original Live Data mode in Dreamweaver CS3. Although DesktopServer’s extended features will also work with Dreamweaver CS3′s older, dated embedded browser (aka Live Data mode), WordPress designers will benefit the most from the latest version of Dreamweaver CS5.5 which includes a cutting edge WebKit based browser rendering engine as well as support for multi-monitor workspaces. In this guide, I’ll show you how to streamline your design environment for working with Dreamweaver and WordPress.

Enable Dreamweaver Support

When you start DesktopServer Premium version 3.3 for the first time or after selecting the first option to “Stop or restart web and database services”, you will see a new checkbox that is titled “Enable Dreamweaver support”. When turned on, DesktopServer will perform extended rendering when viewing WordPress template pages directly in Dreamweaver. That is to say, template page files will render in Live View that exist in your wp-content/themes/[active theme] directory where [active theme] is your currently selected and activated WordPress theme folder. DesktopServer will also automatically create a Dreamweaver compatible site definition file when creating a new website, copying an existing website or importing a website archive (zip file). You can find the file in your website’s folder named as “dreamweaver.ste”. (i.e. ../Websites/www.example.dev/dreamweaver.ste). When exporting your website, DesktopServer will omit this file so you won’t have to worry about security risks (as the file might pose a security risk by revealing your server’s file paths to potential hackers). If you transfer your files to your server by another means, be sure to omit this file or simply delete it after importing your site into Dreamweaver as it isn’t needed after import. If you already have your website defined, you can manually create a site definition for your existing website by seeing my post titled, How to Add a Dreamweaver Site Definition for a Website.

If you haven’t created a website yet, simply follow the directions in the post Getting Started with DesktopServer. Next, locate the dreamweaver.ste file in Finder (Mac) or Explorer (Windows) and double-click the file. Dreamweaver should start and automatically import your site and display the Manage Sites window or alternatively, you can import it using Deamweaver’s Site ? Manage Sites pull down menu, followed by clicking the Import button. You can delete the dreamweaver.ste file after importing it into Dreamweaver. The imported site definition file will automatically configure Dreamweaver to use DesktopServer as a testing server, pre-configured for a MySQL and PHP setup and to support Dreamweaver’s Live View mode. From the Manage Sites window, you can click the Edit button to view the configuration options or define additional servers to sync with.

Enable Code Hints

Adobe Dreamweaver CS5 now includes PHP code hints optimized specifically for WordPress. To enable this feature, all you need to do is enable the Dreamweaver code hints configuration file. Just select the pull down menu Site ? Site-Specific Code Hints to bring up the Site-Specific Code Hints dialog box. You will see a drop down combo box labeled “Structure” from which you can select the WordPress option. Ensure that the site root is selected (as shown in the image on the left) and click the OK button. Dreamweaver will automatically scan your site and provide code hints for clue insights into WordPress’ Template Tag API and proper syntax. To use code hints, simply begin typing a few letters of the WordPress template tag inside a valid PHP block followed by pressing Ctrl+Space bar. For example, with the cursor position right after the underscore in the code block <?php get_ ?> press the Ctrl+space bar key combo and a popup list will appear containing a matching set of  WordPress template tags that begin with “get_”, such as get_header, etc. Code hints can eliminate a lot of guess-work and speed your development process by providing an instant reference without having to look up template tag syntax on the web.

Using Dreamweaver and WordPress

Now that Dreamweaver is properly configured, you can jump right into design and editing. Use the File window/panel in Dreamweaver to select the WordPress website you wish to edit. In Dreamweaver CS5.5′s default workspace, you can find the panel in the lower left hand side with a drop down to select from a list of sites. Select the site you have just imported and navigate the file tree (click the thumbnail to the left and see #1). To view your site as a visitor would, go to the root of your website and locate the index.php file. There are many index.php files in a typical WordPress installation, but we are concerned with the one that lives in the root of your website. It will be in the same folder as your wp-config.php file. Open the file and switch your editor to Split or Design view mode using the toolbar. Next click the Live View button and you should see your website displayed in Dreamweaver’s Design View area (see #2 in the image for the Design View area). Unlike a real web browser, the hyperlinks in Design View are disabled and the render is only an estimation of what a visitor would see. Use the Preview icon (the earth globe icon) on the toolbar to launch your web browser and see your site in an actual web browser.

DesktopServer’s real power is the convenience feature of viewing your theme files directly [and] …using Dreamweaver’s Inspect toolbar button to analyze elements and their corresponding code.

DesktopServer’s real power is the convenience feature of viewing your theme files directly. For instance, you can open your theme’s header file directly by navigating to your active theme’s header.php file. The file would be located in a sub-folder of your active theme in the wp-content/themes folder path. In a typical web server, opening your theme files directly would produce an error and Live View would fail to deliver anything useful. DesktopServer compensates by acknowledging Live View and attempts to apply your style.css file to your template files dynamically as well as attempting to load various WordPress modules to assist you with design time feedback. While not perfect, this can greatly reduce the amount of task switching you perform while editing your site. Simply keep in mind that your CSS rules are influenced by element parent and child hierarchies; so not everything may render unless you address the element directly to apply a given CSS style. For instance, the sidebar.php file may not display a background color because the file itself is an include file intended to be embedded inside another file like page.php. Alternatively, you can open the page.php file, single.php, or your theme’s index.php file and see how content is rendered. Another convenience feature is the ability to click various elements in Split view’s Design View area which will cause Dreamweaver to position the cursor in Code View as close as possible to the code that produces the actual output (see #3 in the thumbnail). Especially powerful is using Dreamweaver’s Inspect toolbar button to highlight elements and analyze their corresponding code. This can help you learn what various WordPress template tags output when passed different parameters. As well as isolate and highlight problems or areas of interest. You can view most changes quickly by simply clicking in the Design View area with Live View turned on or by saving your file (Ctrl+S on Windows or Command+S on Mac) and clicking the refresh icon on the toolbar. To enable Dreamweaver’s native CSS panels, you may need to attach the style.css file as a Design Time style sheet. Design-Time style sheets only apply while you are working in the document. Place your cursor in Code View and use the pull down menu View → Style Rendering → Design-time to attach your theme’s style.css file.

The actual content that is displayed in Dreamweaver’s Live View is determined by the currently selected front page. You can change the content output to test different post scenarios by using WordPress’ admin menu under Settings ? Reading. Select a different front page and that content will be displayed in Dreamweaver’s Live View rendering. The currently selected content can also influence your CSS rules as WordPress’ template tags are often used to output a value for the body or parent element IDs and class tags in HTML (often the case with the post_class template tag). Be sure to set the front page accordingly to avoid confusion. I found this to be especially true when viewing a single post as the front page but loading a multi-column page template in Dreamweaver (and vice versa). Most everything else rendered accurately, but margins abide by the actual output WordPress produces and any CSS rule that binds to the post_class template tag can change the page’s appearance. Thankfully, you can verify what class and id tags are present along with all output by quickly doing a ‘view source’ using Dreamweaver’s Live Code button.

An alert message maybe displayed about dynamically related files not resolving. This is because Dreamweaver doesn’t understand WordPress’ ability to mask URLs with permalinks. You can safely dismiss this message or switch permalinks in WordPress’ admin menu via Settings -> Permalinks and selecting the default option.

You can make dozens of changes to customize and craft your own personalized theme files and view the results quickly with this setup. Development is faster now that you have your WordPress website loaded locally inside Dreamweaver. This guide just scratches the surface to help you get started with a streamlined design and development environment. DesktopServer Premium edition allows you to take your WordPress designs further by unleashing the power of Dreamweaver’s integrated development environment. Now you can customize the look and feel of your WordPress powered websites and view the results even faster.

Tagged , , , , ,
About Stephen Carnam
I’m a San Diego, California based computer programmer and graphic designer that has been consulting, developing, and maintaining web & software applications for well over ten years. My languages and interests include PHP, Java, JavaScript, 3D rendering/sculpting, and snow boarding.

52 Comments

1. JaniceTye says:

I have just started using DesktopServer Premium today after receiving your email that informed me of your service. I don’t think I have ever been so pleased or impressed with a product! It is so much easier and more flexible than MAMP. Thank you very much.

As a graphic designer and web designer of several years experience it is wonderful to have a product that makes my life easier. I will recommend this to my colleagues in the UK.

2. mkjellstrom says:

I love the new Dreamweaver integration. Thanks for a great tutorial.

3. Margie Mintz says:

Hi,
    I just downloaded the free version to give it a try. I’ve been wanted to work on wordpress sites in dreamweaver, since I’ve been using it for so long.
    I’m trying to follow the directions, but is it true that you must have the premium version to integrate with dreamweaver?
    Margie Mintz

Hello Margie,
      Thank you for trying the limited version. Yes, the Dreamweaver enhanced features for automated site definition (the dreamweaver.ste file) and the extended Live View support for theme template files is only available in DesktopServer Premium edition version 3.3.

1. Margie Mintz says:

Thanks for your quick reply, Stephen.
        So, how do I try it out to see if it works for me before I buy it? I’ve bought quite a few things that had potential but I never got the hang of it. Hopefully, this is as natural to use as you make it look.
        Also, I just watched your ‘getting started’ video. Have you mad more to follow up?

thanks,
        Margie

2. Stephen Carroll says:

Hi Margie,
        Dreamweaver support was announced 48 hours ago. I’ll try working on some videos for this new year. :-)

The early adopter comments above (all two!) are most likely users that are at the top of their field. Not a bad way to start off for a prosperous new year and ahead of the competition! DesktopServer was an in-house product for myself as a designer and developer. Since I’m not a marketer, I’ll certainly welcome all your feedback. Would a 30-day money back guarantee assist? I’m debating on putting one of those brightly colored badges on the site.

To date, I’ve had about 1000 installs of the previous free versions since the initial release mid October. I’ve only processed two refunds so far for the premium edition. But I’m certainly not shy to issue a refund if need be. I don’t want anyone using DesktopServer unless they actually use it (and know how to)!

Please note that DesktopServer does require knowledge of HTML, WordPress and PHP would be helpful. My target market is currently limited to professional WordPress designers and developers.

Regards,
        Stephen

1. Margie Mintz says:

Thank you!
          I’ll give the premium a try and let you know.
          Margie

2. axiomcg says:

Stephen, what about if I already have an extensive site already built in Dreamweaver? Will this help me to integrate my site into the WordPress web platform? Or are there other, better ways to do this. I am not very familaiar with WordPress, but my client has requested this.

Thanks in advance!

Ray

Hi Ray,
            DesktopServer does not have integration tools. This feature is really aimed towards theme designers and WordPress as a CMS websites. While existing websites might utilize WordPress within a sub-folder (i.e. http://example.com/blog ), our aim is for the designer that uses WordPress as the engine for their entire site. Developers and designers not familiar with WordPress that would like to try out the new technology should utilize the free DesktopServer Limited and research http://codex.wordpress.org, lynda.com, or browse publications on WordPress. The wealth of resources are continuing to grow as is the popularity of WordPress.

3. weform says:

Man am I a happy camper. You really took a lot of the leg work out of my workflow. You mentioned that you’re not a marketer, are you considering some kind of affiliate program. I’m a (mostly SaaS) VAR and just can’t really imagine being able to really help my design customers without suggesting ServerPress/Dreamweaver.

Hello Weform,
            Thank you for writing! The affiliate program is in the works. A delay due to the pending WordPress 3.4 and enhanced multilingual support has placed the affiliate program on the back burner. As a registered user, you’ll be notified as soon as it goes live. Thank you for your feedback!

4. Hi Stephen, I was reading through this and JUST realized how new this is, but honestly, I’m really glad it’s here.

However, as I got to your last comment, I became a little worried, as I do NOT know any PHP. I have used self-hosted WordPress for a couple years now and know how to use that, and I used Dreamweaver prior to that for HTML/CSS sites, so I was excited about being able to integrate them…ESPECIALLY since I want to convert 3 existing HTML/CSS sites to WordPress.

How critical is it, really, to know PHP? If it’s that critical, can you point me to some good intro tutorials? I am already a member of Lynda.com and can start there if need be.

Thank you so much for this great-looking tool, though, I’m excited to learn it and put it to work!

Hi SmilesbyPayet!
      While PHP isn’t an absolute requirement, it is helpful. WordPress ‘template tags’ are actually just PHP functions and that is about all there is to know that is essential. If you are using some premium themes, you might be able to avoid code altogether, but CSS is definitely a must have if you would like to do more design based modifications. If you are modifying or creating your own themes, the basic PHP (WordPress template tags) that you will need to know can be found here:

While there are tons of publications out there, the http://codex.wordpress.org is free and is the official documentation on all things WordPress self-hosted. From there you can also access WordPress’ official forums. Don’t forget about our own forums at:

Regards,
      Stephen

5. kenrichman says:

I dislike Dreamweaver but there’s not a lot of choice. If this product makes it easier to get some work done with it then that’s great. I see on Adobe’s site they have some tutorials on using Dreamweaver 5 with WordPress. According to Adobe it’s all hunky dory, if you add MAMP, away you go. Can you please explain succinctly what I will be getting of real extra value by adding ServerPress, as I do know I will be increasing my learning curve and the complexity of my developer environment, and it’s one more thing to update and keep versions in sync. etc.

I only have Dreamweaver 4 at present, I dont know whether upgradig will make a lot of difference.

Ideally I want to do some WYSWYG CSS editing to existing websites which I thought would be a simple request but apparently it isn’t. It’s a pain. I am really hoping your product makes things better.

1. Stephen Carroll says:

I understand your woes with Dreamweaver Ken. I’ve only recently gone back to Dreamweaver myself. But only for design as one really needs a modern browser to test scenarios. Unfortunately that means the more expensive current version of Dw. What you gain is less flipping to and from your real web browser but that does not eliminate that fact completely. Testing on multiple browsers for usability is something developers can’t escape from yet. Dw’s multi-screen mobile rendering is nice however. Again, to reduce having to flip to and from browsers/devices. That being said, I still use the free Netbeans.org editor as my number one choice for developing (vs designing). I like the search and replace and the debugger (something us coders must have that Dw does not). Expect to see an article on Netbeans later this month, time allowing.

That being said, CSS is still a must have and hard requirement as is knowledge of HTML standards and WordPress itself. Let us know how you get along in the forums!

6. kenrichman says:

Thanks for your reply Stephen. I’ll keep an eye on the forums and if I try ServerPress I’ll let you know how it goes,

7. Shunyata says:

Hi Stephen,

I’m speechless, what a brilliant implementation. You took an inherent weakness of DW and provided a one step solution that also enhances the value and usability of ServerPress.

I’ve been so focused on developing my latest site that I just now freed up a bit of mind space to rev up DW with ServerPress and watched your video. Well done Maestro.

Now as usual I have a question. Since my site is already deployed by way of ServerPress it doesn’t have an STE file to import.

Now what would be the best way to have a STE file created?

Would you suggest, exporting it via (what would be best BB or your Native Export) and then importing it again with a different name.

I believe your product is so hot that you could make millions from it… I’d love to discus a few things with you more privately.

Thanks Again for such a brilliant piece of work

Cheers

Shunyata

Hello Shunyata,
      It might be best to create the http://www.example.dev site with Dreamweaver support and have a peek at the generated dreamweaver.ste file in a text editor. Correcting for the file paths should yield you a usable site definition for your existing site. Likewise, you could look at the site definition settings for the example.dev site in Dreameaver’s Site->Manage Sites menu and copy them (again, compensating for your existing site’s file paths). Please let me know if you need further assistance and feel free to use the forum. I’ve created a Dreamweaver forum per your suggestion as well.

Regards,
      Stephen

1. Shunyata says:

Hi Steven,

Thanks for getting back to me so promptly. And just FYI, I attempted to Manually enter the Site Definitions in Dreameaver’s Site->Manage Sites menu.

However, even though the settings were set correctly according to the STE example of another test site, I ended up with an unknown error and after several attempts was unable to have DW recognize the site in full.

Then I made a custom STE file based on your template and now DW is indeed recognizing the Site in full and Live View is working like a charm.

ServerPress is the Best.

Take Care

Shunyata

2. Shunyata says:

Not sure what happened but, for some reason my site stopped functioning in Live View. It’s been one of those days. I did re launch DW a few times and it still indicated a settings error.

Mind you, this is the same site that I set up above and worked fine to begin with.

Cheers

Shunyata

1. Stephen Carroll says:

What error are you seeing?

1. Shunyata says:

I’ve got the dreaded…

“Dynamically-related files could not be resolved because the site definition is not correct for this server.

Odd, thing is that it was fine before.

All that I did was some editing on the site outside of DW. Using a browser tool.

1. Stephen Carroll says:

Do it appear in blue? That warning can usually be safely ignored as Dreamweaver simply can’t understand the more complex WP template tags (like get_header()),etc. However if rendering has stopped, what do you see for page.php, for instance?

2. Shunyata says:

It appears in yellow!

The index page is rendering as it should and the related files are loading. So it’s just a false flag???

I did also make an entry in the DW Forum regarding Best Deployment Practice and future DW syncing.

Thx for your impeccable support!

Cheers

3. Stephen Carroll says:

Hello Shunyata,
            You may want to check out this post, as the template parts rendering is different from the site root index.php rendering.

I did get your forum post and there are several ways to sync., you can create another site definition just for your live server, you can create any additional server definition too, or you can create an FTP only site definition to sync. Since I don’t use Dw very often, I’ll have to research the best way :-) .

(oh, please keep in mind that everyone who comments here will get an email blast by default unless they unchecked the follow-up comments. Consider the forums that offer better subscription management.)

Thank you for your comments and participating in the forum and in the article comments!

:-)

8. Sea Breeze Brighton says:

I have been searching the web for months for a solution like this. BRILLIANT !

I have had my website redeveloped in WordPress. Most of the pages are built on templates.

I need to access those templates so that I can add new links and ALT tags (the images used on the site are not in the MEDIA area but hand coded in). I want to duplicate those templates and create new based on old.

I have MAMP – Dreamweaver CS5 – WordPress all installed and can access the templates in Dreamweaver’s LiveView but cannot edit the code as it shows that in LiveCode. Very Frustrating !

It looks like Desktop Server Premium allow me to see the templates visually, let me click on an element and access the code to add links and tags.

I’m gonna give it ago.

1. Sea Breeze Brighton says:

Created http://www.example.dev following the tutorial works well. Opened in DW all looks good – although I can’t figure out how to edit the code.

I downloaded and zipped my own site files and database. Imported into DS, copied the dreamweaver.ste file from example.dev pasted inside seabreeze.dev changed all occurrences of example to seabreeze and imported into DW.

Opening Index.php in DW and clicking Live View results in the page rendering in the design screen, what appears to be only the blog-header in the code view
      define(‘WP_USE_THEMES’, true);

/** Loads the WordPress Environment and Template */
      require(‘./wp-blog-header.php’);
      ?>
      and I get the error message: Dynamically-related files could not be resolved because the site definition is not correct for this server. Retry | Setup

Is there anything that is shouting at you here “he did that bit wrong”?

Hello Sea,
        At the end of the article, I mention a little bit about this:

“An alert message maybe displayed about dynamically related files not resolving. This is because Dreamweaver doesn’t understand WordPress’ ability to mask URLs with permalinks. You can safely dismiss this message or switch permalinks in WordPress’ admin menu via Settings ? Permalinks and selecting the default option.”

However, why you are only seeing the header is another issue. I’m not quite sure why that would be. Is this the index.php in the root? For additional support, please be sure to reply with your OS version and platform (I figured Mac) in our dedicated forum for Dreamweaver at http://serverpress.com/forum/premium-support/dreamweaver-support/. Thank you!

Regards,
        Stephen

9. Rebelpoet says:

Greetings Stephen,

When I discovered your site and product, I immediately bought it because it sounded like the perfect solution to streamline the process of setting up servers for site and with the ability to export. I am glad I did. It works like a charm so far on the first site I am developing. I am going to try exporting a site to a live server next.

So here is the problem I am having tonight however with my first attempt with integrating Dreamweaver CS5

I imported the site following your instructions, the index.php live view works fine, but when I go to my other index.php file inside the my theme folder…
    I got this message

“Fatal error: Call to undefined function get_header() in /Users/TRISTANTINOPLE/Documents/Websites/www.stuartwatkinsyoga-build-a.dev/wp-content/themes/origami/index.php on line 7″

I have no idea what this means or what to do about it.
    I would like to be able to see my files and be able to edit as you showed in your video….it would nice : )

Would appreciate any feedback.

Tristan V

Hi Tristan,
      Sorry for the confusion. This sounds like the Dreamweaver support for LiveView checkbox is not turned on. Sometimes this checkbox doesn’t get set correctly (a bug fix is in the next release to ensure it). Please be sure to visit this post in our forum:

For additional support, please use our forum and be sure to include your OS platform (Mac, Windows) and version.

Thank you!

Regards,
      Stephen

10. A newer version of DW is high on my priority list, but until then, I am still using CS3, and it doesn’t seem to be rendering my files. Is there a way to use this with CS3? This would save me a lot of time.

1. Stephen Carroll says:

Hi Sean, as the article says “Although DesktopServer’s extended features will also work with Dreamweaver CS3′s older, dated embedded browser (aka Live Data mode)”, your experience will be poor at best. The embedded browser in CS3 is using an engine that is closer to Netscape 3.0. Thats over 16 years old! The newer versions of Dreamweaver leverage the webkit engine for an experience closer to Chrome/Webkit/iOS/Android.

1. I must be doing something wrong, because it looks no different than if I were to open my file while not running the program. It’s a white background with a list of php icons and broken images. Is that the best I’ll get?

1. Stephen Carroll says:

Are you running the Premium version and have the “Enable Dreamweaver” checkbox checked? For additional support, please post in the Dreamweaver support forum and be sure to include your OS (Vista, Lion?) at http://serverpress.com/forum/premium-support/dreamweaver-support/

Thanks!

11. Virginia says:

Hello, I just settle DescktopServer (free) as indicated in the URL “http://serverpress.com/news/getting-started-with-desktopserver/” and when I reach the point 8 ‘by clicking the hyperlink “not working. Browser opens and tells me that the link is broken.
    Currently working with WP from my server, ie I make changes live as I have WP installed on the server, and if I had to play some document the issue, I came down FTP, modified it, saved it and went right back up . Could it have something to do with me not working so I just installed? Or do I have to install the paid version?

PS: I apologize for any errors, do not speak English and I use the google translator :)

thanks
    Virginia

Hello Virginia,
      Please use the free public forum: http://serverpress.com/topic/getting-started-step-8/

Muchas gracias!

12. LarryTartisel says:

Hi Stephen, Really… this is an excellent product! Thank you for working so hard on it.
    I have a question that I haven’t been able to find the answer to yet. I would like to develop a site locally on my computer using desktop server and Dreamweaver cs5. I am doing this part of it fine, then uploading the site and DB to the live server (or sometimes dev server for my customers to preview and proof).

Here’s the question: I can sync a local site with a dev site online for the theme files, but not for the DB. I would like to work locally and post changes occasionally to my dev server online. I set up DW to sync the files online with my .dev site, but I have to manually export the DB, then perform and Find and Replace, then import the DB online.

Do you know of any way that I could sync my .dev local DB with my online development server’s DB?

Hi Larry,
      Thank you for your feedback! Unfortunately synching databases isn’t covered (good idea for a new product feature), but overwriting a database is easy. This isn’t something one normally does (as it begs the question of WordPress as a CMS). It is helpful for re-launching a site, as most of our users are designers and content is best left to the CMS re-visioning features. Keep in mind that you’ll be destroying any postings, comments, transactions (if you are running a eCommerce site), etc. when you overwrite the database. DesktopServer’s Export feature scrubs (replaces URLs) in your PHP,XML,JavaScript *and* the database. Granted, the former is a convenience feature as one shouldn’t hardcode URLs in their PHP files and should use the WordPress template tags instead (that makes syncing theme changes easy).

In the export file, you’ll find a database.sql file that contains a database dump of your local site. You can run this on your live server (remember to specify the real domain and TLD when exporting) using your host’s phpMyAdmin utility. See step 3 in my post on “Deploying Your Website Using cPanel” for how to do this.

13. naocoo says:

Hi, just bought the desktopserver yesterday and used it to modify my workpress site in conjunction with dreamweaver. im a beginner to webcreation and i just got a host subscription recently.
    Now that I have created the wordpress site, i want to load the site up to my server using ftp.
    My host is godaddy and wordpress is already installed. so im assuming i will be loading up and overwriting stuff in the wordpress folders on my go daddy site, but not sure which and how to go about it. i guess i load up most everything except the .ste and the codehinting.config. files included in the .dev folder that was created when i intialized the dreamweaver wordpress interface.
    is there a system to the procedure of uploading the site stored in the .dev folder?

Hello Naocoo,
      Please use the QuickDeploy method. If you already have WordPress installed on the host and just want to overwrite it (the easiest way), simply use DesktopServer’s export option. Leave all the fields blank (except for the name of the website you want to deploy as with a real TLD i.e. http://www.example.COM). QuickDeploy will automatically pick up the settings in your existing wp-config.php from your working site so that you don’t have to create another database -it will erase the existing database first. Please see

14. pvelez3 says:

I am attempting to edit a theme in Dreamweaver that has a child theme and I am not having much luck in determining how to see this in live view. Can you explain or point me to an existing explanation in the support section…thanks.

Hello Pvelez,
      Yes, please post your questions in our support forum at http://serverpress.com/forum/premium-support/dreamweaver-support/

Regards,
      Stephen

15. warehousegallery says:

Hi Stephen,

As I do not want to make the same mistake twice, I would love for you to ease my mind. I had designed a site through WIX already only to find that i could not switch it over to my host site and domain. My main concern is this, if I design my site through dreamweaver using a downloaded WordPress template and the desktopserver, will I be able to publish it to my host site and domain (my domain name is warehousegallery.ca ) with an end result of a http address having no unwanted tags such as .dev without getting the premium

Hello Warehousegallery,
      Only the Premium version offers support to ensure that you can deploy your site. You can accomplish this using DesktopServer Premium version or we can perform an assisted deployment for you on your WordPress compatible host.

16. realbasics says:

Thanks for the extremely lucid explanation! I’ve tried to get Dreamweaver (CC version) working with WordPress in live view and just never got very far. I could get it working sort of on my hosting servers but never did figure it out for MAMP.

This post clearly explains what I should do to get everything working in DesktopServer, which is great, but you also anticipate and explain likely obstacles and rough spots.

Always great to run into a developer who can do his or her own documentation so well.

Last point: DesktopServer would be great regardless — compared to MAMP it just works. The Dreamweaver (and presumably netbeans, etc.) features are a total bonus. Hats off for taking the time to document this so well when you really didn’t have to.

DTI

17. milba1164 says:

Hi Stephen, does this allow functions like connection to database tables within wordpress or just changing design? thank you

1. GreggFranklin says:

You can create database connections. Change design. Whatever you can program on a live server, you can do in DesktopServer.

1. milba1164 says:

thank you, just to confirm that is using the dreamweaver shortcuts and not hard coding? Cheers

1. milba1164 says:

thank you, just to confirm that is using the dreamweaver shortcuts and not hard coding before making another purchase. thank you

2. milba1164 says:

thank you, just to confirm that is using the dmw shortcuts and not hard coding before making another purchase. thank yo

18. techguykelly@gmail.com says:

Does DesktopServer Premium work with live view on the new cloud version of dreamweaver?

1. Stephen Carnam says:

Yes! DesktopServer generates a Dreamweaver project file for you that is compatible with both CS, CC, and the latest “Dreamweaver CC 2014″. Please note that Live view is intended for local rendering only. Collaboration features in Dreamweaver have not been tested or supported (note: DesktopServer is intended for localhost development only but does have a sharing feature for mobile device testing).