If you have our free version of DesktopServer Limited installed and wish to upgrade to our current full version, please follow the instructions below. Upgrading is easy with our new DesktopServer installer.

Update Instructions

1. Download the ZIP archive for your specific platform (Windows or Macintosh) from ourĀ download page.
  2. Unpack the ZIP archive (double-click on Macintosh/right-click, Extract All… on Windows) and run (double-click) the Install DesktopServer icon.
  3. Select ‘Upgrade DesktopServer’ followed by the Continue button.
After upgrade, you must start DesktopServer at least once to turn on Apache and MySQL services. The title bar of DesktopServer should change from “DesktopServer Limited” to “DesktopServer Premium”.
Tagged , , , , , ,
About admin
ServerPress.com system administrator. If you have any questions or concerns, please use our contact form at http://serverpress.com/contact-us

13 Comments

1. jrankin says:

Hi,

Ive recently upgraded to the paid version of desktop server from the free version but now everytime I try to export I get ‘program not responding’ message. Please advise how I can recover from this.

1. Stephen Carroll says:

Hi Jrankin,
      You may wish to post this in our forum at http://serverpress.com/forum/premium-support/desktopserver-support/ along with your operating system (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Mac OSX 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, etc.). Also, please make a note of which line in the progress wheel that it appears to fail on, etc. The more information the better, thanks!

Regards,
      Stephen

2. kurdi says:

“Next, move the new DesktopServer and Update folder ”

What is the update folder? There is no folder entitled ‘update’

1. Stephen Carroll says:

It’s inside the zip file. Be sure to download and extract the ‘Update Only’ zip from the downloads page.

3. thia says:

DesktopServwp-confier error: unable to wrote to and update C:\…\…\…\…\wp-config.php
    I have repeated the installed the limited edition several times then removed then installed the upgrade all the time the error comes up! what to do?

1. Stephen Carroll says:

Hi Thia,
      It sounds like you need support. Please take a moment to post in our forum at http://serverpress.com/forums or our contact us page at http://serverpress.com/contact-us. Please be sure to include your OS platform and version, i.e. Windows 7, or Macintosh 10.8.2, etc.

4. laurel says:

Hi there,

This I believe is a little complicated. Long story but I am now using DesktopServer on my MacBook but previously on the iMac but that had to go in for repair! So downloaded DesktopServer to my MacBook and started the process of rebuilding a .dev site, which is now complete and ready to be deployed.

I upgraded to your Premium a/c yesterday and I thought great, not long to go now. What I have since discovered is that I do not have the full functionality on my MacBook version, i.e. I cannot even export etc, only 3 options are available (pls see attached) but have checked the iMac (now repaired) and that version does have the full functionality for export/deploy.

I have download the Installer – Macintosh OS X 10.6.X-10.10 – upgrade/Premium zip – dsp-mac-v365 / Install DSP v365 do I need to activate this so that my version on my MacBook will be updated to Premium?

Just worried and wanted to check with you first as do not want to lose the .dev site I have just built, many thanks :)

5. GreggFranklin says:

Hi Laurel,

It does sound like you have the Limited version installed. You should be able to tell by the title bar at the top. Yes you should download the Premium version and make sure you have closed the Limited Version. Then install.upgrade with the Premium. It will not touch your created sites. However you can backup the entire DesktopServer installation by following these directions. http://serverpress.com/news/how-to-backup-your-desktopserver-installation/

1. laurel says:

That’s great, many thx and all working now :)

I do apologise but I now have encountered another problem, I have just attempted the direct deploy and the following msg appeared mid-through the deployment Error 502. Then, through the cancellation process it just froze and I had to force quit the programme after 20mins. I was then unable to connect to the server with the following msg: unable to locate xmlrpc.php.

I deleted the deploy folder that was on the server and then deleted and created a new database and deleted WordPress and uploaded again, it’s now all working correctly, thank goodness with a ‘Coming Soon’ page back in place :)

Would you be able to help with deployment and with the Error 502 msg, many thx again :)

6. GreggFranklin says:

Hello Laurel,

The 50x error is a host server error. A 502 error is a time-out at the server end. This can happen for a host of reasons, but typically it is because the server does not have the resources to maintain that type of connection. It could be a temporary thing, or it could have to do with the way that they allocate their system resources (ie. more resources toward serving up the websites and fewer resources toward file transfers). Our experience is that, sometimes, you can attempt it multiple times and eventually, get the deploy to take.

You can also try the Quick Deploy method: http://serverpress.com/news/using-quick-deploy-on-a-live-server/

Since you are a premium member we offer an assisted deploy and would be happy to take care of this for you.

For assisted deployment, please create a website archive to privately upload to our server

Use DesktopServer’s last option to “Import, export or share…”, followed by “Export or deploy…”.
    Select your website project from the drop down combo box, “From Website”.
    Ensure that the option is set to “Export to a website archive”.

You you do not need to supply any additional information. Skip filling out any additional fields and just click “next” until a zip file is produced. You may then upload the created zip file via our website at:

Please note that there is a 300MB limit on the upload page. If your .zip archive is larger than 300MB, you may wish to use a third-party service, such as dropbox.com to send us the file. Dropbox requests can be sent to our email (support@serverpress.com). In lieu of dropbox.com or our upload page, you may send us a URL to obtain the file.

1. laurel says:

Hi Greg,

Many thanks for your quick reply and explanation, it’s very much appreciated. I have since attempted another Quick Deploy and it’s just not working.

Please can I use your assisted-deployment service Greg, I have zipped the site and completed the online form, I do not have a ticket number but I will send anyway, many thanks again :)

2. laurel says:

Hi Gregg,

Many apologies but I am going to have to send a new assisted-deployement request, please can you ignore/delete the earlier one.
      I have just discovered that when I attempted the last deploy it must have deleted/changed the wordpress files on the server as the site/server could not be found/unable to connect.
      I have therefore, deleted/created a new database and I have deleted the wordpress files etc and I am in the process of uploading wordpress again. The .zip file I sent will not work as the Server IP Address has changed.
      As soon as I have activated wordpress I will send a new assisted-deployment request, many thx again :)

7. GreggFranklin says:

This issue has been addressed via private support.

Please let us know if this does not resolve the issue or if you need further assistance.